Thursday, September 22, 2011

Guests

Here's a nice little thing that happened en route to Mexico from Cuba.
We were about half wayish between the west end of Cuba,Cabo San Antonio, and Isla Mujeres on the Yucatan Peninsula.The sun had set and the dusk was getting duskier when 3 little birds spotted us and decided to stop for the night.Birds quite often stop for a rest on boats.Anyway these little guys flew round the boat a couple of times and one set him (or her)self up on a hatch cover and another settled on the bimini.Number 3 decided to sit on my pillow .We had made our beds up in the cockpit as it was a lovely balmy evening.

I had to get a photo,even though I'd freak him out.Flash went off and he didn't blink.A couple of hours later I said to Gail"I've got to lie down.He'll just have to move"So I laid myself down.Our little guest just nestled into my hair and carried on resting.

Eventually i had to stand up and sure enough he just sat on my head as I checked position etc....Had to get a photo of that too.

Now he'd had enough.A birds gotta sleep.So he flapped off my head onto Gails pillow.Likes his comfort.He was disturbing Gails sleep,wriggling around in her hair,so she turned around and left him the pillow.As the sky got light we woke up and saw that the other two had already checked out and as we pulled the heavier cockpit cushion back there was the poor little guy,apparently lifeless,jammed behind it.As I went to pick his little body up he wke up and fluttered up (a few inches )to the cockpit coaming.There he spent a few minutes stretching his wings and shaking his head and as the sun popped over the horizon and his friends swung by ....off he went.
FOOTNOTE. When we were relating the story to Steve and Eva of Music,thats them on the left

they said they'd had the same experience themselves except they'd had five guests.Unfortunately two of them were dead in the morning.....................they have got a cat though.

No comments:

Post a Comment