Tuesday, October 1, 2013

The Photo Album

I think the description was originally about war or the life of a soldier at war but it's also used in cruising circles.
                        Hours of boredom with moments of terror.
Terror might be a bit much.....maybe very busy and worrying periods,charged with adrenaline and salt water.....but I'll go along with the boring bit.I've been looking through photographs and realize that we haven't got a lot of scenery .The first time we came back from a cruise...the Bahamas...we realized that we had so many sunsets and sunrises that most of them had to go. All very pretty but of course it's not just the colours (hmm  my American spell check doesn't like that u in colours ...whoops I mean colors...that's better ) What it is is the size of them...same as landscapes etc..
 
I mean,if you've seen one island covered in coconut palms you've pretty much seen 'em all..
Really though, arriving in a new place is exciting, interesting and what it's all about.
I've been surprised by the number of aircraft pilots that we've met along the way who go cruising . I don't know how many times I've looked up at a plane flying over and thought..'now that's the way to go'...It's hard to imagine that they look down at this little spec in the ocean and think..'gee...I wish I was travelling at 5mph '!
I think I'm getting off the track.
So....we arrived at Bonaire after about 76 hours of boredom....that is 3 or 4 hours of elation at being on our way then 70 hours of boredom followed by 2 or 3 hours of eager anticipation.. and picked up a mooring ball. That's Jabiru behind us on the left , and that's where you have to moor in Bonaire.
Her bow (sharp end ) is in about 20 ft and her stern in about 100 ft. That's why you can't anchor here as well as the fact anchors destroy coral and there's lots of it here with lots of colourful fish swimming about.
Still tired the next day but got an (oxymoronical )(spellcheck didn't like that either )energy drink.
Gotta love the Dutch.
 

Biggest difference from the eastern Caribbean islands........Really good food/groceries like lots of great cheeses and (how did I live without it since we were in Holland ? ) all sorts of licourice, particularly salted...Mmmm. Not the tropical lushness of the eastern Caribbean but yez can't have everything.   There was also this quirky museum/art gallery a local couple had put together.A little flock of pet flamingos and a yard and house full of all sorts of weird sculptures and .....................stuff.
These are the  "crazy" people who created the place.
And this is some more of their art.
 
Well I'm not getting any briefer but at least I'm not getting bored or frustrated.
(although I did call my 'friend' a little name before)
That's about it with Bonaire. Lots of snorkeling and eating and as we had to tie up our dinghy at the bar ,if we didn't feel like swimming (to the bar that is ) we felt obliged to partake of their products.
It's only fair.
Speaking of which......it's beer o'clock.

No comments:

Post a Comment